Saturday, May 29, 2021

Memorial Day 2021

Today we remember all those men and women who offered themselves for others so that we today can enjoy what we call, freedom.

As we pass cemeteries in our local communities, many have World War I World War II the Korean War and Vietnam War monuments that help us to reflect on the many people who offered their lives for the gift of freedom. Just that thought alone, his heartbreaking.

I am a son of a World War II veteran. I remember my dad telling stories as he grew older about his experiences in Europe during that heartbreaking, frightening, and sad moments in a young man's life. I could hear in his voice, the many people in his life, that or his friends and that never came home with him, because they offered the supreme sacrifice, themselves.

I have a classmate from Joliet Catholic High School, a dear friend, a friend that each year posts a wonderful picture that his father created on Christmas Eve during his World War II experience. I would like to share what his son wrote about his father and that he posts this particular photograph every year as a reminder to all those today who are serving in the armed forces what they go through when they're not at home with loved ones.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is a portion of the two note that's my classmate wrote about his dear father on Christmas Eve.

It's become an annual tradition for me to post this drawing done by my dad, back in December 1944 while he was stationed in the South Pacific on the USS Spangler.

My dad was 19 when he enlisted after Pearl Harbor.  He was just a kid from Joliet, IL who never made it out of high school.  It was a difficult life growing up during the depression, his family having to rely on government assistance for many necessities, but that didn't stop him from having a keen sense of what was truly important in life.  I'm sure his faith got him through some desperate times aboard ship - wondering if they would ever make it back home.

Note#2:
Christmas 1944.  The south Pacific. The USS Spangler patrols the waters near Saipan. Ted, a 22-year-old boy from Joliet, IL looks across the deck at the now calm seas and wonders if he'll ever make it back home. He thinks of his family - praying they're having a peaceful Christmas back home. He flicks his cigarette into the waters below and heads back to his bunk where he draws this picture, trying to make some sense of it all.

I've posted this drawing the past few years and will continue to do so every year to honor my dad and all the sailors and soldiers who gave so much for us.
      The South Pacific                      Christmas1944 by: T.C.

For me, I remember looking at my father's purple heart, and holding it and now I remember even more how precious that moment was, my dad there next letting me hold in my hands that purple heart that stood for loyalty, injury, suffering, and in the end peace.

So today and throughout this weekend if you have time, take a ride to a cemetery that has memorials for those fallen members of our communities, and say thank you to them. 

Memorial Day isn't just about picnics and family gatherings, although it is a wonderful time to get together, but we mustn't forget also at the same time why we're having those get togethers, the day itself by its own name Memorial Day tells us that there are souls that have given their lives for the sake of love and freedom.

Eternal rest ran on to them O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them, May their souls and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen. Amen.

I hope everyone has a blessed Memorial Day weekend. Just please take some time to just remember.

Brother Ed Arambasich, OFM